Thursday, March 26, 2009

an update: fried ice cream ice cream

A few of you were asking about the ice cream I mentioned in my last post...keep reading!


(I don't know this man. I found this picture on Flickr and it's the only one I could find on the entire internet with the picture of the ice cream container!)

I feel it is my duty to inform all of my friends, family, blog readers, and basically the world of the tasty goodness of a product I like to call fried ice cream ice cream. Technically it's just called fried ice cream, but this doesn't properly inform the reader that it's actually ice cream that tastes like the Mexican dessert, fried ice cream. Got it?

Anyway, I am normally not an ice cream kind of girl. I don't like how it melts and gets your hands all sticky. I don't like the puddle it leaves at the bottom of a bowl. If I eat ice cream I usually choose an ice cream sandwich (Skinny Cow's are amazing and WW friendly) or one of those cone things with chocolate and nuts.

But when bf and I went grocery shopping last Sunday night I made the mistake of going with a hungry belly. And I had just worked out so I was doubly hungry. The bf looooves ice cream so we always have to make a stop in the very cold frozen food aisle. My eyes landed on some girl scouts samoa ice cream and I almost grabbed it because I love girl scout cookies and, well did I mention I was hungry? But it was a big container and we have a small freezer so I resisted. Then I saw this little pint of ice cream on the top shelf. It was the perfect size for me and the title was intriguing, "fried ice cream" (made by Private Selection).

I made my decision to take that baby home with me and when I took off the lid, I was greeted with a very sweet sight. Cinnamon and caramel flavored ice cream with a ribbon of honey - caramel swirls and chunks of cinnamon sugar fried tostada pieces...all just waiting to be eaten. And eat I did. Seriously, I finished off that pint in less than 3 days. The ice cream is so good and the ribbons of caramel are a sweet surprise. But when you get a chunk of sugared tostada pieces, that's when it gets amazing. It's kinda stale-like but so good. I can't really describe it.

And now after writing this, I'm craving more. An endless cycle!

I implore all of my readers to please go out and buy this ice cream. Give it a try. Let me know what you think. That is, if you can peel your hands off the ice cream container long enough to type.


PS - Private Selection is the generic brand that can be found at Kroger / Ralph's / Smith's grocery stores across the country.

13 comments:

Kate said...

Another reason we would be friends in real life: I have this ice cream in my freezer right now!

Paula said...

Yum. I pretty much love all ice cream. I don't discriminate. Except for strawberry-eew! But I have never tried this flavor. I will pick up some next time I go to Kroger. Thanks for the tip!

Candace said...

I sometimes make my own "fried" ice cream. I use vanilla and drizzle it with honey and cinnamon. MMM

MaierHousehold said...

I **heart** ice cream!

BTW...skinny cow ice cream sandwiches...they rock!

Jules said...

Oooh, I used to love fried ice cream from Chi Chi's when they were around. I think I would love this ice cream. It sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

OMG. This is something I'll be looking around for!! Thanks! Or not? LOL!

Lucky in Love said...

We buy the Breyer's brand of Fried Ice Cream...it's a much bigger container :)

Check it out!

http://snackerrific.com/snack-review-breyers-overload-fried-ice-cream/1065

KRISTEN'S PALACE said...

i'm loving this new blog look! & your taste in icecream :)

Blake's Momma said...

I may have to make a special trip just to find this stuff. I'm always too stuffed after eating mexican food to order the ice cream....but it's oh so good. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, but when I gain a few pounds I WILL blame you:)

c said...

If you get some more room in your freezer, you have got to get the samoas ice cream. sooo good!

Belle on Heels said...

ummmm i hate you for introducing me to this ice cream. i bought some at kroger's today and had to force myself to put the spoon down. it is soooo yummy!!

Anonymous said...

At first I was mad to see that none of those stores are near me and I couldn't try it. Then I realized that it's probably a good thing.

Shaina said...

I will definitely be heading to Kroger's to check this out!!! I was a HUGE fan of the Chi-Chi's fried ice cream dessert...HUGE FAN. Yum. Yummmmm....yumm.

Sorry, I got distracted.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS