Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year's Resolution #1

On December 31, 2008 at 10:30 a.m. I joined Weight Watchers.  I was going to wait until the New Year, but to be honest I woke up and couldn't wait one more second.  So I trooped down to the local WW and was horrified when I was told my "official" weight. I just want to make it clear that my weight is normal, but in the higher spectrum for my height.  I look fine, I wear size 8 jeans and when most people found out I had joined WW they simply asked what for.  However, I have lost the confidence I had in myself when I was in college and wearing a size 4.  I don't feel sexy or attractive even and joining WW will help me lose the stubborn 10-15 pounds I need to without using a fad diet or unsafe diet pill. I totally believe that Weight Watchers is a lifestyle change, not a diet.  I've been on the plan for 5 days and my first weigh-in is tonight.  I am excited to find out how I've done.

It's been hard, but not because I'm depriving myself of foods I love (I'm not and don't have to) but because I am changing my relationship with food.  For me, I eat when I'm bored, when I'm tired, when I'm sad and when I'm celebrating.  Food is my way of life and changing that frame of mind is what is difficult.  But, I have to say that I have been extremely good these past 5 days.  I have cut out cheese, fried foods, pizza, french fries (my favorite food on earth), pasta, bread and fast food.  I've eaten more fruits, vegetables, eggs, lean chicken and fish and I have been drinking an absurd amount of water!

If you are feeling like you could lose a few pounds, I highly recommend Weight Watchers!  This "diet" doesn't require that you give up you favorite foods, it only requires that you think about what you are putting in your mouth before you do it.  And believe me, when you realize that an order of SMALL french fries from McDonald's has 5 points and that a lean piece of chicken, a large helping of corn and a green crisp salad with fat free italian dressing has only 4 points, which are you going to choose?  A small fry can't fill me up and make me feel satisfied that's for sure.

Anyway,  I will be posting on this blog in order to encourage myself to keep going.  I just keep thinking to myself that I only have a small percentage of weight to lose, and if Ruby can do it, I CAN DO IT!  And you can too :)

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS