Friday, February 4, 2011

3 years and happy friday!

Today marks 3 years with my job. In the grand scheme of things, that's not long at all. BUT, seeing as this is my first "real" job after graduating college, I'm pretty impressed with myself.

I'm sure I've told you this before, but after I graduated in August of 2006, I couldn't find a job. Technically, it wasn't that big of a deal because I was living at my parent's vacation house in the mountains, which was 2 miles from the restaurant. I lived rent free and spent my tips on clothes, going out with friends, and fun stuff. Then in December, the restaurant owners decided to close. It was abrupt and happened quickly. I was at work on a Thursday, and the restaurant was closed by that Saturday.

At that point, I moved back down to the "city" with my parents. My mom had seen an ad in the AJC about an airline hiring flight attendants. She suggested I go check out the open house so I went out and bought a suit and new heels on a Monday, and left for the open house at 5:30 am on Tuesday morning, and by 1 pm of that same day I had a new a flight attendant. I had never in my life thought that I'd be working in that field.

Training was one month long and by February of 2007, I was flying the friendly skies. That job was brutal. It was exhausting and not at all glamorous like some may think. Sure, I traveled to many places I never thought I'd get to see, I had a lot of adventures, and I got to skip the long security lines at airports.

That job was never for me. I never considered it a real job because I was just goofing off and getting paid for it (I mean, I worked hard, but I still didn't have any responsibilities like rent or bills). I worked as a flight attendant for about 7 months before I gave my two-weeks notice. My last day was October 9. I sold all of my designer clothes, purses, and shoes to fund my trip out to sunny California. The car was packed and ready to go the morning of October 25.

My mom and I drove cross country and we made it to Hollywood on October 30.

On October 31, I walked into a temp agency to look for work. I had my resume and the same suit I wore to my flight attendant open house. They took one look at me, called my current company, and I was told to head over and meet the boss. I did, and by 1 pm I was offered a job. I was given a cubicle and a stack of work to do. Now here I am, 3 years later and not much has changed except that I'm in an office now. I'm still working on that same stack of work (obviously not literally, just figuratively, seeing as my duties haven't changed).

I can't help wonder, is there going to be more to my career?

I really, really hope so.

But seriously, HAPPY FRIDAY! Who are you cheering for this Sunday? Personally, I don't have a preference and I think the teams are pretty equally matched. It should be a good game!


Nicole-Lynn said...

That's great! Love your blog layout! It's been a while since i've visited. Hope all is well!

Whitney and the Preppy Puppy said...


Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Yay!!! That's a big step.... your first few years after graduation can be tough!

BroncoMom said...

You know, that is a great story. I find it very interesting how people "find" jobs. Everyone's story is different.
Here is to beginning the next chapter in your career life. CHEERS!!

Mary A. said...

I lost interest in the Superbowl when the Bears weren't contenders any more.

As for the job: If you enjoy it, and the people you work with, AWESOME! Three years is a good stint -- especially for anyone under 50. (I used to say under 40. But then. . . Gen Xers are getting old).

Be open to the universe!

Danielle said...

Congrats on 3 years!

Susannah said...

Crazy that you used to be a flight attendant! Tell us more please1 :) Following you on twitter.

Preppy 101 said...

What great experiences you've had! And, yes, I am sure there is more to come! xoxo

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing. I like reading these type stories. Congrats on the 3 year anniversary.