Thursday, January 20, 2011

thursday's thoughts are all about...

QUINOA!

I made a dish with quinoa for the first time last night!

It was very easy to make, and I think quinoa will make a great addition to our regular dinner rotation. It's high in protein, a great source of dietary fiber, and gluten-free!

The original recipe can be found here for actual measurements! A big thank you to the very hungry grad student for posting this!

Toasting the quinoa will give it a nice, nutty flavor. After you've toasted it for a few minutes, add the liquid (I used chicken stock instead of water) and bring to a boil. Once this has come to a boil, cover and turn down the heat. It will take 10-15 minutes to cook.

While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the additions - a quarter cup of sun-dried tomatoes and about 4 oz. of crumbled goat cheese.

Also while the quinoa is cooking, add about 1.5 T olive oil to another skillet and saute the broccoli until it reaches the desired texture.

Once the quinoa is cooked and all of the liquid is absorbed, transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add the broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese. Season with sea salt and red pepper flakes. Lastly, add about 2 T of balsamic vinegar and mix it all together.

Once you've plated your dinner, add a few more crumbles of goat cheese! Enjoy!!

Let me know if you guys try this recipe or if you have any quinoa recipes that you think I should try next!


ps - I want to give a shout out to Mama's Messages because I actually went on the hunt for this recipe when I saw a picture she submitted to Kitchen Belleicious' blog yesterday. From first glance, I knew I had to try it!

8 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

yum, this looks SO good! i may even be able to get the beau into health food with this. thanks for sharing :)

Susannah said...

Yuuuuuum! I haven't had quinoa in ages!!

Elizabeth said...

I love quinoa, I've added it as a staple, usually instead of rice. This recipe looks delicious! I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Thanks for posting this! I bought a box of quinoa at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago, and haven't had a clue what to do with it. I'm going to try your recipe tonight :)

Preppy Girl Meets World said...

Sounds great! I've been wanting to try making Quinoa fordinner, so if you have any other recipes, I would love to see them!

Jules said...

This sounds great and very filling too! I've never had Quinoa before. I'll have to look for this next time I visit Trader Joe's. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Mary A. said...

This lookis so yummy. It also looks like something that will make my kids cry if I try to make them eat it.

Krista said...

This looks delicious! The only recipe I've ever tried is the one on the back of the Trader Joe's Red Quinoa box. It is sooo good! I highly recommend it!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS