Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy Spring!

Oopsie, forgot to post this on Friday!

It's kind of an unspoken tradition that I bring some sort of baked treat to work every holiday. People expect it! Not one to disappoint, I knew that I wanted to go big or go home this time. I basically copied this cake that I found on Pinterest. I loved the idea of the ombre look with the inside layers and mirroring that in the shades of the frosting. A lot of people have done this cake (in all sorts of shades) so I'm in no way original, but I take comfort in knowing that at least I did something that my co-workers probably haven't seen before! They're an easily impressed bunch so even though my cake was in no way close to as beautiful as the original, they were still so excited to see it and of course, eat it! My recipe and adaptations to the original can be found below.

The original inspiration had piped roses on the outside, but that was an utter disaster for me. So I had to improvise and kind of blend the different shades of frosting together instead.




I hope everyone had a very Happy Easter!

Cake (I doubled this recipe for 4 layers):
1 box Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix
Sub milk for the water
Sub melted butter for the oil
3 eggs

Notes: I used 8 inch round cake pans for the layers. For the colors, I used 1 drop of pink gel food coloring for the lightest layer and added 2 more drops for each additional layer. I also made these in advance, let them cool, then wrapped them in 2 layers of plastic wrap and froze them. When I was ready to assemble, I removed the layers from the freezer, and let them thaw for 20 minutes or so before evening the layers out and putting on the cake crumb frosting layer.

Frosting (again, I doubled the original recipe):
White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Filling (between the 2nd and 3rd layers):
Trader Joe's Lemon Curd

17 comments:

Blue Dog Belle said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! Looks yummy!

Blue Dog Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Um...this look so freaking DELICIOUS!!!!! You are really talented with cake making my dear :-) Glad you had a nice Easter weekend!

Tracy @ Honey and Nutmeg said...

Wow this looks fantastic! My favorite color!

honeyandnutmeg.blogspot.com

Muffy said...

SO IMPRESSIVE!!! It looks amazing-- you should be so proud of your skills. What a pretty cake! You're obvi the best coworker ever and should change industries. I hear radio is a good one these days!!! ;)

Lauren said...

wow! i am so impressed! i really want to make the rainbow version of this!

Sweet Simplicity said...

SO pretty!!

BroncoMom said...

I wanna slice!!!

fifi said...

this looks fantastic and yummy!

Holly said...

wow, its sooo pretty! doesnt look like you messed up at all!

starnes family said...

Looks too pretty to eat!

erica said...

Your cake turned out really pretty! I made an ombre cake for Easter as well and my family adored it. Love your blog and I am your newest follower. xo

Jane V. said...

The cake not only looks beautiful but delicious as well!! I wish I could bake like that :-)

Unknown said...

Love this! I wish I had enough patience to make something like this. Now please send me a piece since you made me super jealous with all the sweets.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

It looks so pretty and soft and DELISH!! I want to work with you :)

Laur said...

Looks too pretty to eat! I've thought about making this but get turned away thinking it looks too difficult! Can you bring me a piece?! ;)

Shoshanah said...

I think it's so cute! And I bet it was delicious too!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS